Archive

May 9th 2024

Wolverhampton Airport The Future

Councillor Phil Bateman has written to support Wolverhampton Airport and has now made his contribution public. It is reproduced here on his web site. As the countdown to the close of the consultation period is fast approaching.
From: "Philip Bateman"
Sent: Wednesday, October 09, 2002 11:06 PM
Subject: The Future Development of Air Transport in the United
Kingdom;Midlands.

Dear Sir /Madam

I would like to comment on the Governments consultation paper, as a local
Councillor and in an individual capacity.

I have long been a supporter of the need to enhance and develop airlinks in
this region. I sat on the former West Midlands County Councils Airport Sub
Committee during Birmingham International Airports early development in the
1980's. I Chaired the Freight Working Party for a period during this time. I
am currently a representative of Wolverhampton City Council on Wolverhampton
Business Airport Consultative Committee. I believe that my constituents in
Wednesfield North in particular would benefit from many of the proposals
that I outline in this response to consultative paper; The Future of Air
Transport in the United Kingdom; Midlands.

Birmingham International Airport

I am of the belief that there is a very strong requirement to expand and
develop the current Birmingham International Airport on its present site.
It would be wrong and destructive to construct a new airport in the Rugby
area.A new airport on a site in Rugby would harm the environment.It would
not be popular either in the West Midlands County or in Warwickshire. I
recognise the need to develop the aviation infrastructure so that we can not
only continue to develop air traffic but we can also as a region continue to
benefit from these 'engines' of economic growth.Birmingham International
Airport should remain the main airport for the West Midlands region.

Wolverhampton Business Airport

I also support the development of the Wolverhampton Business Airport [WBA}
as it is strategically placed to provide increased aviation opportunities
for business and commerce in the Black Country. Also those populations to
the West of the conurbation like Kidderminster Worcester Telford Shrewsbury
etc.

It is impressive to note that aviation in the Midlands currently supports
9,480 jobs directly and 41,250 jobs in total. I also understand that it is
estimated to add £0.5 billion of added value to the Midlands economy.

My support for the development of WBA is because there is a growing need to
improve accessibility to the Black Country for business and commerce.Also we
need better links with an expanding European Union. With crowded roads and
motorways, delayed rail infrastructure development and Birmingham
International Airport close to capacity at certain times. It is imperative
that we are able to develop the smaller regional airports quickly. In that
way we can enhance our economic development not see it reduce.

I am hopeful that the owners of Wolverhampton Business Airport will continue
to invest in the development of its facilities. They have done much to
improve the general aviation that takes place from the site.But they need to
do much more to encourage air lines and facilities for passengers to fly to
other regional airports as well as trying to introduce a "Capital Link"
between the Airport and London.I would urge the WBA board to invest in an
extension of the runway,further develop airside facilities and expand the
apron space.If they can make that type of progress they will make a
considerable contribution to the local economy.

Freight Movement

Often the role that Airports play with regard to the movement of freight
goes unrecognised. But freight and the movement of goods is crucial to this
part of the Country. With manufacturing still an important function of the
conurbation, and with near 30% of the UK's manufacturing capability to be
found in the conurbation the development of freight movements is very
important and should not be overlooked.Our regional airports should look to
develop freight and certain niche markets maybe like the export facilities
for cattle and agricultural products.

Partnership & Strategy

It is time that Local and Central Government recognised they can play a
partnership role with this Airport [WBA], in the development of the
regional economy. Better road links are a must if there is to be development
of any significance at the Airport.Government should be encouraging this
type of partnership,and playing a full role in its development.This could be
achieved if there was a clear aviation strategy that Communities, Local
Government, Government and Business could develop jointly.

RAF Cosford

Finally a word on RAF Cosford. Currently the MoD and the RAF have full
control over the development of the site. It is in use as a base for the
RAF's School of Engineering. It already benefits from being linked to good
road access and rail access, it would be ridiculous not to consider this
sites future availability or the role it could play in an expanded regional
aviation strategy.

Yours sincerely

Councillor Phil Bateman
Wednesfield North